This is an in-depth Trademark Engine review that covers the nitty-gritty of what this firm does.
Getting a trademark should always be among your top priority as a business owner. A trademark will safeguard your brand’s logo and identity and give you legal and common rights.
In addition, a trademark will give you a valid ground to prosecute any other brand or company for infringing these rights.
If you’ve looked up reliable firms to help you with trademarking your business, you must have heard about Trademark Engine.
In this post, I will cover:
- What is Trademark Engine
- How does Trademark Engine work
- Reasons to use Trademark Engine
- Trademark Engine refund policy
- Trademark Engine Pricing, and more.
Let’s dive in.
What is Trademark Engine?
Trademark Engine is a firm in the U.S that helps business owners protect their brand and business worldwide. They help you legally claim ownership of a brand name, logo, packaging, or sound before someone else does.
The firm is made up of a legal team and technologists who give efficient services to small businesses. They target consumers who cannot afford or don’t need a full-service intellectual property attorney.
As a side note, Trademark Engine is not a law firm and doesn’t give legal advice. But on the other hand, the team uses legal knowledge and technology to help you obtain your trademark. They are also focused on getting you everything you need for the searching, filing, and maintaining of your trademark.
Trademark Engine is known to be fast, simple, economical, and focused on small businesses. So, if you are a small business owner and have a brand name or logo that seems like a birthright to you, you now have an affordable means of owning it forever.
To make things simpler for small businesses, Trademark Engine offers seven different services to choose from. This is helpful since you don’t need to purchase the whole service if you only need one.
For instance, most trademark firms would tie many services together to form a tier subscription. But Trademark Engine lets you choose whatever service you need independently.
The seven services Trademark Engine offers are:
- Trademark registration
- Comprehensive trademark search
- Trademark monitoring
- Copyright registration
- Office action response
- Statement of use
- Filing an extension
1. Trademark Registration
Trademark Engine offers a quick and easy way to register your brand name or logo.
Registering your mark (an element, symbol, visual image, or art design that helps people immediately recognize a certain company) gives you ownership and the right to use the brand worldwide. And, you also stand the chance of enjoying wider protection in courts.
Plus it will also attach the ® symbol to your brand logo, name, or slogan. It also presents your business as a well-established and trusted platform. Also, your business may see an increase in value.
You can get your brand trademarked using Trademark Engine’s 3-step approach and a simple online questionnaire. Most people finish the steps in minutes!
The 3 steps you are going to follow through for your trademark registration are:
Step 1: Answer a few questions
Trademark Engine will like to get information about you and your business. The questionnaire could include questions like:
- What name would you like to use on the registration application?
- Will there be more than one owner?
- What is the address of the owner of the mark?
- What type of entity is the owner of the mark?
- Describe the services or products that will have the mark.
- Has the look of the mark been finalized?
- What does the mark look like?
- Are you trying to trademark the use of a specific color?
- What type of product will use the mark?
Step 2: Compile the application and search
After answering all the required questions, the next step is compiling your application and searching the database. In this stage, you have to search to see if the mark you have chosen is already in use by another business.
If you find out that your mark is taken, you have the opportunity to make changes. Failure to do so before filing your application will incur a rejection from the USPTO. Unfortunately, if your application is rejected, the fees you pay to Trademark Engine and the USPTO won’t be refunded.
Searching will avoid mark duplication and save you from rejection. And also save you from losing your money. Trademark Engine offers comprehensive trademark searches that cover the common law, federal, state, and global levels.
Step 3: Application filing
You can proceed to step 3 after you are sure that you have fulfilled the above steps. In this stage, you have nothing to do than to sit back and watch Trademark Engine file your application.
Your application will be filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Certification is usually issued in about 12 – 18 months.
How Much Does the Trademark Registration Cost?
Although trademark registration sounds like a straightforward thing, there are still features that can be incorporated for you when registering. Trademark Engine offers 3 packages with the higher tiers having extra features and more cost.
The 3 packages are the:
- Basic package
- Standard package
- Deluxe package
A. Basic Package
The basic package is the smallest in Trademark Engine’s trademark registration service. It goes for $99 plus the USPTO filing fee.
The basic package contains, obviously, the basic perks that would aid you to register your mark. If you purchase this package, during registration, you will have access to the following:
- Direct-hit search: You will be able to search the USPTO database for registered and filed trademarks that match your mark.
- Federal E-Filing with USPTO: Your application will be filed electronically. This takes out all the limitations and delays with paper filing.
- Electronic Delivery: Your trademark application will be delivered electronically. This will enable you to get your application delivered as soon as possible.
B. Standard Package
The standard package is the medium package in the trademark registration service. It goes for $149 plus the USPTO filing fees.
The standard package has all the features that the basic package has. Plus, it has additional perks that make it a tier higher than the basic package.
If you choose this package, you will stand to benefit the following:
- All the perks in the basic package
- Cease & Desist Letter: You have access to a customizable cautionary letter that you can send to an alleged wrongdoer trying to mess with your trademarked property. The letter describes their misconduct and demands that they stop immediately. It also puts up a notice that legal action will be taken if the misconduct in question continues.
- Transfer/Assignment: Trademark Engine lets you have access to custom assignment templates. You can use them if you choose to transfer/assign the ownership of your trademark to another company or person.
- Trademark Monitoring: Trademark Engine will keep an eye on infringers who may rise to impersonate your mark and notify you on when to take action against infringement. This perk is a $175 quarterly renewable feature.
C. Deluxe Package
The deluxe package is the top-tier package among the packages in the trademark registration service. It goes for $199 which also includes the USPTO filing fees.
The deluxe package has all the perks the standard package has. And its own additional perks to make it stand out from the rest of the packages.
If you purchase the deluxe package, you will benefit the following:
- All the perks in the standard package
- Private Registration: Trademark Engine offers data protection and privacy to your personal details such as email, phone number, or address, on the USPTO online database. This way, your details will not be displayed as a public record for random people to view.
- 24-hour Expedited Processing: The reviewing, preparing, and filing of your trademark application will be done in 24 hours compared to the other packages that take up to 5 business days.
2. Comprehensive Trademark Search
The comprehensive trademark search is integrated into Trademark Engine’s 3-step approach of registering your mark. This service is also an independent service. It offers you more ways to do a comprehensive trademark search.
Doing this search is very important because if you go ahead to file an application without a comprehensive trademark search, your application might be rejected for certain reasons.
The major reasons for rejection relating to poor or no trademark search are:
- The trademark you have filed for is already in existence or
- You are filing for a trademark that will stir up confusion because it is similar to an existing trademark.
The 3-step process for the comprehensive trademark search is simple to complete.
Step 1: Answer a few questions
Just like how you would go about it when registering your trademark, you will have to answer a few questions regarding yourself and your business. Your answers will be used to file for the application.
Step 2: Run a comprehensive search
Trademark Engine offers many options for trademark search. These options include searching across the international, federal, state, common law, social media, and domain name databases to point out potential duplicates.
Running a comprehensive trademark search can save you from losing money. This is true as both Trademark Engine and the USPTO will not refund you if you are rejected.
Step 3: Detailed report
After doing a comprehensive trademark search, Trademark Engine will send you a detailed report. The report identifies all possible conflicts from across the international, federal, state, common law, social media, and domain name databases.
How Much Does Comprehensive Trademark Search Cost?
Trademark Engine offers a variety of comprehensive search options which are split into three packages. The higher the package tier, the more trademark search options you get. And, of course, the higher the cost.
The three packages include:
- The Federal & State Search package
- The Federal, State, & Common Law package
- The Global search package
A. Federal & State Search
The Federal & State search package is the least package in the comprehensive trademark search service. This package offers a comprehensive trademark search at the federal and state level and it cost $149.
If you purchase this package, you will benefit the following:
- Trademark Search: This is the federal search that is done for similar names, logos or slogans that are registered or pending with the USPTO.
- State Search: The state search does the same kind of search for all 50 states in the United States, to find conflicting or similar trademarked properties.
- Detailed online report: After your search, Trademark Engine identifies all the matches and makes a detailed report to help you strategize your next step.
B. Federal, State, & Common Law
This package stands as the middle-tier package with better features. It goes for $299 and offers all the features you would get in the lesser package and more.
If you purchase the Federal, State, & Common law package, you will benefit the following:
- All the features in the Federal & State Search package.
- Corporate name search: The corporate name search runs a search to find matching trademark names for all corporate and other business entities in all 50 states in the U.S.
- Corporate Directories: Trademark Engine searches the corporate directories for corporate bodies who might be using your mark or something close to it.
- Common law: The proprietary internet will make a thorough search to show if your mark is among those that may be protected by common law trademarks.
- Domain names: Trademark Engine will also search top-level domain names to check if anyone or a company is using the mark that you have chosen.
C. Global Search
The global search package is the highest package in the comprehensive trademark search. It goes for $499 and has all the features you would get in the middle tier package and more.
If you purchase this package, you will benefit the following:
- All the features in the Federal, State, & Common Law.
- A comprehensive trademark search for both pending and registered marks in multi-national jurisdictions like the European Community and World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
3. Trademark Monitoring
The trademark monitoring service from Trademark Engine cost $175 quarterly and it’s a renewable service. It offers systematic monitoring of similar marks, monthly reports that are custom-tailored to you, and also full customer service with 24/7 access to your account.
Basically, what the trademark monitoring service does is keep an eye on infringers who may rise to impersonate your mark and notify you when to take action against these infringements.
Plus, you have access to a cease and desist letter you can send to anyone who is infringing. The letter describes their misconduct and demands that they stop immediately. It also puts up a notice that legal action will be taken if the misconduct in question continues.
If the infringer ignores or denies the misconduct, you can go ahead to file a trademark infringement lawsuit. But it is always advisable to discuss this with your attorney first.
4. Copyright Registration
Trademark Engine offers copyright registration services to help you protect your creation or intellectual property. Copyright registration is just like printing your name in bold letters on an item. Which makes it undeniable.
When you do a copyright registration for your work, you claim legal ownership of it. After registration, you have the right to sue anyone for infringement.
Trademark Engine are professionals at filing a copyright registration with the U.S. Copyright Office. Tons of items ranging from directories and catalogs to computer programs, entertainment pieces, and educational materials, can be registered.
Trademark Engine offers 3 simple steps you can follow to get your work registered. And they are:
Step 1: Answer a few questions
To begin your copyright registration, there are a few questions you will have to answer. These questions will be focused on you and the ownership of your work.
Step 2: Compiling the application
After you are done with the questionnaire, Trademark Engine will compile an official application for you. This application will be sent to you first for review and approval for further processing.
Step 3: Application filing
The next stage in the process is application filing. After you have given consent, Trademark Engine will file your copyright application with the U.S. Copyright Office.
How Much Does Copyright Registration Cost?
The copyright registration services offered by Trademark Engine are grouped into two packages: basic and deluxe packages.
A. Basic Package
The basic package is the smallest package in the copyright registration service. It goes for $99 and you have to pay the federal filing fees.
The plan has basic features that should help you register your work. If you purchase this package, you will benefit the following:
- Professional Preparation: After you have filled the questionnaire, Trademark Engine’s team will review and prepare your application. The review will check for common mistakes, completeness, and accuracy.
- Federal E-Filing: You can file your application with the U.S Copyright Office electronically. Your application no longer needs to wait for the mail or deal with paper files.
- Certificate of Registration: After successful registration, your certificate will be mailed to you directly from the U.S Copyright Office.
B. Deluxe Package
The deluxe package is the better package and it goes for $199. It offers all the features in the basic package and more.
If you purchase this package, you will benefit the following:
- All the features in the basic package
- Cease & Desist Letter: A customizable customer-specific form you can use if someone is infringing your work.
- Transfer/Assignment: You will have access to custom assignment templates. You can use them if you choose to transfer/assign the ownership of your Copyright to another company or person.
- 24-hour Expedited Processing: The reviewing, preparing, and filing of your copyright application will be done in 24 hours compared to the basic package which takes up to 5 business days.
5. Office Action Response
Trademark Engine states clearly that they are not a legal firm. But does that stop them from helping you respond to USPTO office actions? Not really — only certain office actions can be responded to.
Certain USPTO office actions like moving your mark to the supplemental register, changing your description or class, submitting an alternative specimen, disclaiming certain words, and administrative matters can be handled.
How Much Does Office Action Response Cost?
Trademark Engine’s office action response cost $149. It offers features that will help you respond to certain USPTO office actions. If you purchase this service, you will benefit the following perks:
- A simple process: This includes answering a few questions to get started.
- Eligibility Review and Preparation: Trademark Engine will review your answers and your response will be prepared if you are eligible.
- Review and Sign: After preparation, you will have to sign the response for the filing process to begin.
6. Statement of Use
Trademark Engine can help you file a Statement of Use which shows the USPTO you are using your mark. The Statement of Use service is a simple 3-step process.
In the first step, you fill out a simple online questionnaire. And in the second step, Trademark Engine will review your information and make necessary corrections. While the final step has to do with the filing of your application.
How Much Does Statement of Use Cost?
This service cost $129 plus the USPTO filing fee of $100 per class. Trademark Engine offers step-by-step instructions to help you.
This service lets you have access to a cloud-based account for all your documents, status updates, and deadlines. You will also have full customer service support through email, live chat, or phone.
7. Filing an Extension
Trademark Engine can help you file for an extension of time to file a Statement of Use. The extension delivered to the USPTO will help you extend your deadline for six months.
You can file for an extension in 3 simple steps: answer a few questions, review your application, and follow the filing process.
How Much Does Filing an Extension Cost?
The statement of use extension cost $99 which also includes the USPTO filing fee of $125 per class. This service also comes with its perks. You can complete your filing with or without your serial number.
In the questionnaire, there are step-by-step instructions to guide you. After filling your form, Trademark Engine will do a thorough review. You will also have the chance to review and sign your filing before it is filed.
Also, you will have access to a cloud-based account for all your status updates, deadlines, and documents. And access to full customer service support through email, live chat, or phone.
Trademark Engine Reviews and Testimonials from Previous Clients
If you’re wondering what people who have used Trademark Engine’s services have to say, here are a few testimonials:
A Trademark Engine review by Chris:
A Trademark Engine review by Nadir:
A Trademark Engine review by Chantal:
A Trademark Engine review by Michael:
From the few reviews of Trademark Engine so far, you can clearly see that they are satisfied and unsatisfied customers. The thing is, if you are using a cheap service like this one instead of an attorney or a more standard firm, you don’t always expect quality.
However, Trademark Engine customer support is very effective and usually helps clients resolve their issues. So keep in mind that even though you might experience some issues, they will be eventually resolved.
Trademark Engine Pros & Cons
- Easy to use
- Cheaper than most alternatives
- Offers a variety of services
- Suitable for small businesses
- Becomes expensive over time
- Doesn’t offer legal services
- No guaranteed result
Best Trademark Engine Alternative: Trademark Factory
Overall, Trademark Engine is a good place to start. But there are a few problems you might encounter.
For example, the services become expensive over time. Let’s say you subscribe to the trademark monitoring service, which cost $175 every 3 months, you will end up paying thousands of dollars in a few years.
Another one. There’s no guaranteed result. You should just hope that it works for you. Although, they have a refund policy in place in case things went wrong.
Finally, if you ever run into any legal issues concerning the trademark you registered with Trademark Engine, you’ll have to hire an attorney on your own, which will cost you a hefty fee.
Isn’t it better that you go with a firm that has all these covered at a one-time fee? You don’t have to go through these risks or keep paying recurring payments!
So if you are looking for a better Trademark Engine alternative that covers what trademark Engine lacks, you should check Trademark Factory.
Trademark Factory’s mission is to help growth-minded entrepreneurs build amazing brands. Thing is, you can’t build an amazing brand unless you OWN the brand you’re building. And the only way to own your brand is to trademark it.
And if you are wondering why Trademark Factory is worth checking out, here are a few reasons:
1. All-Inclusive Service
There is a quote from Charles Manson that says, “If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy.” And I strongly believe Trademark Factory follows this wholeheartedly.
Trademark Factory’s legal team and advisors take care of all your trademark processes. Their experienced attorneys and trademark agents won’t let you break a sweat or worry about anything. You will only be contacted when necessary for some required information or document.
After sharing the necessary information with the team, they go on to draft and file your application. All necessary legal requirements will be met for your trademark to be registered.
To me, this is what makes them unique. Once you choose to work with them, it’s a 100% done-for-you service. Just sit back and watch your brand get trademarked without paying any additional fee.
To be clear, you get almost all the services on Trademark Engine on Trademark Factory but with only a one-time fee. No recurring payment!
2. One Flat Fee
One thing that makes Trademark Factory stand out is their one flat fee. Other trademark firms will likely charge you per hour and demand another payment if an objection is raised against your application or further actions need to be taken by them.
But with Trademark Factory, you only need to make a one-time payment, which covers the cost of the Trademarking process from start to finish. Even if your brand trademarking process requires a full legal team, you won’t be charged an hourly rate.
Trademark Factory does not incur hidden costs or other demands for payment. No matter how many objections are raised against your application, additional payment will not be incurred.
For the records, and depending on the plan you paid for, your one-time fee should include a comprehensive trademark search, application filing, response to all office actions, etc.
Most of the services you will get with one payment on Trademark Factory are charged individually or hourly by other trademark firms.
3. Guaranteed Results
Trademark Factory has a 99.3% success rate. This means that there is a high chance that your brand will be trademarked. But if things should swing sideways, they follow a 100% money-back guarantee policy.
So, if you don’t get what you paid Trademark Factory for, you will get a full refund. Even after the rigorous process the legal team has gone through.
The refund could come in two ways. You can get a full refund before filing. This means if Trademark Factory identifies any problem with trademarking your brand after you already paid, you will get a 100% refund Or they keep searching until they help you find a brand you can own.
They also offer a full refund after filing. So after their comprehensive search, if they find your brand suitable for trademarking and they filed it but get disapproved by the Trademarks office, you get your full refund, regardless of how many office actions they have responded to.
And considering the fact that they have been in operation for over 9 years, and filled 2885 trademarks with over 99 success rates, you can be rest assured they will deliver on their promises.
4. Large Team
Another reason to trust Trademark Factory is the fact that they have a huge team. They are currently over 30 team members working in this firm, with each proving their expertise in different areas.
This means you will get the right specialist to work on different aspects of your brand trademarking process. This is why Trademark Factory is able to handle all the activities themselves; because they have a complete team.
5. Free Call with a Specialist
Finally, unlike many trademark firms that are only after your money, Trademark Factory will require to know more about your business before they decide you are a great fit for them.
You will first need to request a free call with one of their advisors (click here to request the call), who will try to understand your business goal and then recommend the best package for you. This free consultation will also shed more light on certain things you don’t know about your business model.
Conclusion – Is Trademark Engine Legit
By now you might be torn between choosing Trademark Engine vs Trademark Factory. Here is a simple formula to help you out!
If you own or you are starting a small business where your capital isn’t something crazy, Trademark Engine is a good start.
You can simply use them to get your business trademarked and when your business starts growing, you can move to a standard option like Trademark Factory that gives you the proper protection.
However, if you are starting or own a large business backed with strong capital, you are better off choosing Trademark Factory.
Aside from the fact that it allows you to get premium services without any recurring payment, the fact that you have their legal team always ready to defend you is a huge win too.
For example, with Trademark Engine, if you run into a legal issue, maybe someone is trying to steal your brand name, they can’t help you in any way. They will only advise you to seek an attorney.
But with Trademark Factory, their attorneys are forever ready to defend your trademark without asking you for any additional fee.
Again, small businesses with little capital should go with Trademark Engine as a start, while large businesses should go with Trademark Factory for proper protection.
This marks the end of this Trademark Engine review!